Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wisdom for Wednesday

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe--

This quote really speaks to me right now. I encountered it while going on my first walk/run in trying to begin the "Couch to 5K" program. The app thinks that I need motivating so it provides me with a quote as I try not to die while asthma battles my desire to lose the 30 extra pounds I need to shed. 

The wisdom of this quote convicted me both about my spiritual life and my natural life. There are so many things that I know that I still don't act on. 
  • I know a daily devotion would make every day better but some days I am just "too busy" (what a joke).
  • I know that if I would dust my room regularly I'd be able to breathe better but I always seem to put it off 'til company's coming.
  • I know homework should be done early not at the last second but somehow something else (like this blog post) seems more important at the time.
  • I know...but...
That short list sums up a major battle I have...procrastination. How many things do we know but not apply? We know to eat healthy, but do we? We know our neighbors are lost, but do we witness to them? How many opportunities have we lost because we failed to apply now not "later" (though somehow later never seems to come for many things)? I challenge all of you: do something today you'd ordinarily put off 'til the tomorrow that never comes. I will do the same. Let's not just know about what we should do. Let's do it!

James 1:22
But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
King James Version


No comments:

Post a Comment