Friday, June 3, 2011

Friendship

Today was a crazy crazy day, but it showed me something important about who my friends are (not that I didn't already know this person was a good friend, etc, we've been friends since 7th grade). So this morning was supposed to be the one morning this week that I got to sleep in and not have to be at work at the way too early (to a college student on summer break) time of 8:50. However at 7:45 my blissful sleep was interrupted by a phone call from my dearest friend S. S was panicky and crying etc. as she informed me that her dogs had escaped. Since they had just moved into a new home that week she was frantic because they didn't know where "home" was yet. So S of course calls me to come look for them with her. She did not want me to waste any time at all, not even getting dressed, because we had to find her doggies N-O-W!!! However I prevailed on that. So we went hunting after my hazy sleepy drive across town to her house. We hunted all morning and had finally given up and headed to Kinko's to put up posters when her phone rang that someone had dropped the little monkeys (ok big monkeys) off at a vet near her new house and the vet had checked the microchip and contacted her father. So we rushed to the doggies and the story of course had a happy ending. [aren't they cute??]

So anyways the real point of this post is friendship not dogs, cute or not. S and I have always been friends but I wouldn't say we are "best" friends. However it meant so much to me that in her time of distress she knew to call me. We have been friends for years but sometimes we go months without talking but can always just pick up again wherever we left off. However that when she needed help she knew I was there told me I must have been a better friend than I thought. So I guess that raises the question: who are your "real" friends? who do you call when you need something right that second? Of course Jesus is the ultimate friend but when you've called on Jesus and the dogs still aren't there who do you call to help you physically look?

The Bible has a few things to say about friendship too. These verses seemed to apply to today's story very well.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, 12
Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble...A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer.
New Living Translation
Proverbs 17:17
A friend loveth at all times
King James Version

I'm glad I know who my friends are. Sometimes it seems like their number is few but I am blessed to know that there are several who are always there. Some childhood school friends, some internet friends (though only because oceans separate us), some camp friends, and of course the ultimate friend, Jesus.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a chip, too. A friendchip.

    Thank God for wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete